Tuesday 16 August 2011

BBC Vulcan feature goes down well



Sunday night brought about something different for the Vulcan team, a chance to showcase the aircraft via a new programme, Britain's Hidden Heritage.

Now, normally, I wouldn't even entertain watching a programme like this, but knowing the Vulcan was to be featured, I, like many other XH558 fans I'm sure tuned in waiting for the feature.

Chairs, Chairs, and more Chairs! I've seen enough!
Have to say though I think the programme producers failed to mix the actual programme up a bit, I mean how many stateley homes did we actually have to look through, with some nice old furniture - yes, the first old table and chair set was nice to look at, but that wore a bit thin at the ninth or tenth room we were looking at!

Maybe it's just me failing to appreciate old furniture but I just thought maybe the Vulcan feature should have been a little earlier in the programme, as my attention had really been lost by the time it came on at 7.40pm, but when it did then the attention was fully restored.

bird's eye view from underneath the Vulcan
It's great for the Delta Lady to be featured on BBC1, and hopefully it will have encouraged others to find out a bit more about the story. Quite a bit has been made about the lack of publicity of the Vulcan Appeal, well I can tell you that the Beeb would more than likely not have allowed any kind of appeal detail as they are very very sensitive with putting things like that out, as some would class it as free advertising, and I do know that their scripts are vetted so that anything under the advertising banner comes out straight away.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't give us 'the howl' especially when the brilliant John Sargeant made reference to it, but what did come across was the boyish delight that John was feeling whilst up there in the skies alongside the Vulcan!

I can't help feeling that matbe Planes TV would have been better filming this on behalf of the BBC, as they would have featured everything we were looking for, and more.

That said, it was great to see national focus being placed on the Vulcan, and hopefully that will go from strength to strength, although it's one thing getting the publicity, the hardest thing is keeping it going, and that will be the challenge as it comes to the autumn & winter months, but we'll all be doing our bit to keep her out there!

No comments: